STUFF TO KNOW
This is the head-knowledge we should have for tonight's topic. These questions are based on Diocese of Rockford Confirmation guidelines, and you'll probably recognize them from the Confirmation Quizzes we do during some of our Confirmation sessions.
- What was Pentecost? (Hint: It’s in the Acts of the Apostles.)
- Which person of the Trinity is emphasized in the sacrament of Confirmation?
- What are the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit?
- What do we mean when we say that Confirmation imprints an “indelible spiritual mark” on our soul?
- What are some of the effects that the sacrament of Confirmation has on us?
- How should we prepare for the sacrament of Confirmation?
- Why do we choose a Confirmation name when we get confirmed?
- Why do we choose a Confirmation Sponsor?
- Why are we anointed on the forehead with chrism (i.e. oil) when we are confirmed?
- What sacrament does Confirmation complete?
STUFF TO watch
Here's a video that takes a different angle on tonight's topic. Feel free to check it out, if you're interested.
STUFF TO TALK ABOUT
Our faith shouldn't just stay in our heads, but we should also let this knowledge sink into our hearts. After the Confirmation session is over, we encourage confirmandi and their parents and/or sponsor to discuss the following questions. These questions will help you reflect on and apply what you learned tonight to your life.
- What stuck out to you most from the Confirmation session? Why?
- Confirmation is not graduation for Catholics, what is it?
- How can you be a witness for your faith?
- Is being a Christian hard or easy?
STUFF TO DO
Our faith shouldn't just stay in our heads and hearts, but it should also significantly affect the way we live our lives. Here are some suggestions for how you could live out tonight's topic. We encourage you to pick at least one suggestion and commit to implementing it in your life. We also encourage parents and/or sponsors to make a commitment with their confirmandi.
- Learn more about your saint! You have chosen a saint to walk with you through Confirmation (and if you haven't, get on it!). Spend time learning about your saint, reading about them and trying to understand them. Find a prayer they wrote and pray it every day.
- Spend time with your Sponsor. Go to Mass, adoration, or even out to ice cream with your Confirmation Sponsor and talk about what Confirmation means to you, why this is an important step in your faith, and what you're looking forward to.
- Be a witness. Live out your faith. Attend a youth ministry event or find another way to become active in St. Thomas. Share how you are living your faith with the people around you.
- Pray with Carpe Verbum. Even though we have an adoration chapel, it might not be possible to go every day or weekly. But, we still need to listen to the Lord. We should be praying with the Scriptures every day. We know that can be a challenge, and so we encourage you to try out this free, daily, step-by-step prayer resource called Carpe Verbum ("seize the word"). Carpe Verbum texts a new prayer and lock screen graphic to your phone every morning. See details below...