STUFF TO KNOW
This is the head-knowledge we should have for tonight's topic. These questions are based on Diocese of Rockford Confirmation guidelines, and you'll probably recognize them from the Confirmation Quizzes we do during some of our Confirmation sessions.
- What is “evangelization?”
- What’s the difference between proselytizing and evangelizing?
- Why should we evangelize?
- What are the two main ways we evangelize?
- What are good ways to evangelize? What are bad ways to evangelize?
STUFF TO watch
Here's a video that takes a different angle on tonight's topic. Feel free to check it out, if you're interested.
STUFF TO TALK ABOUT
Our faith shouldn't just stay in our heads, but we should also let this knowledge sink into our hearts. After the Confirmation session is over, we encourage confirmandi and their parents and/or sponsor to discuss the following questions. These questions will help you reflect on and apply what you learned tonight to your life.
- What stuck out to you most from the Confirmation session? Why?
- Why is it important to evangelize?
- Has anyone ever shared their faith with you? What was it like for you?
- Why is it hard to talk about faith with other people?
- What are some small ways you can share your faith with others?
STUFF TO DO
Our faith shouldn't just stay in our heads and hearts, but it should also significantly affect the way we live our lives. Here are some suggestions for how you could live out tonight's topic. We encourage you to pick at least one suggestion and commit to implementing it in your life. We also encourage parents and/or sponsors to make a commitment with their confirmandi.
- Glory Be. Do you know the "Glory Be" prayer? It invokes all three Persons of the Trinity. Consider saying this brief prayer every day. Pick a time of day, like while you're in the shower or while you're brushing your teeth before bed.
Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,
and ever shall be,
world without end.
- Social Media. Knowing that we are all brothers and sisters in the Lord, we are responsible for showing others kindness and love. This month, decide how you can show greater kindness and love to people on social media. For example, maybe you can make a point to comment on others' posts with encouraging words when they're having a bad day. Or maybe you could avoid posting negative content about others.
- Pray with Carpe Verbum. Knowing that you were created to be in relationship with the Lord, the best way to deepen your relationship with Him is to pray... every single day. We know that can be a challenge, and so we encourage you to try out this free, daily, step-by-step prayer resource called Carpe Verbum ("seize the word"). Carpe Verbum texts a new prayer and lock screen graphic to your phone every morning. See details below...